1. Brush through hair to make sure there are no tangles, then using a comb or your fingers take about a 2 inch triangular section from your hairline on both sides of the head and bring around to the back of your head.
2. Tie the 2 sections together in a simple knot, just like you would tie a shoe lace. Make sure it is tied tight.
3. Then gather both strands of the knotted hair into one hand and grab a new section of hair from the right side and add it into the ends on the right ends of the knot.
4. Repeat step 3, but take a section from the left side and add it into the left side of the knot end.
5. Make another simple knot with the ends of the first knot with the added hair and pull tight and you have another knot!
6. Always make sure to put the same side over the other when tying the knots, for example always the left section over the right section.
7. Continue like this making 3 or 4 knots (or however many you prefer) until you reach about the nape of the neck.
8. For the last knot, don’t add extra hair in and just tie it off.
9. Next using bobby pins secure the knots in place. You can also use an elastic to and bring everything together and only pin down where it feels loose.
10. Lastly use a strong hold hairspray, like Aveda Control to set the style in place.
Tutorial features creative director Alex Kool.