Thanks to BTV for having us and to our stylists and models! Also big thanks to Blondie Boutique for providing those gorgeous outfits!
Who’s excited for the holiday parties!?
It’s official - Fall has arrived in Calgary. There is a new, crisp feeling in the air. The leaves are changing to vibrant colours of red and orange. We’ve even had our first snowfall! With the change of the season, we often are ready to make room for changes in our lives. Many of us look to our hair as an opportunity to express seasonal change. There are different ways to change your hairstyle - a new colour is a ravishing way to express yourself and embrace the cooler weather.
Red is one of the biggest colour trends we are seeing this fall. Switching out blonde or brunette locks for a new, brilliant shade is an exciting way to try something new. From influencers such as Daisy Clementine, who rocks beautiful copper locks with effortless style - to celebrities like Emma Stone and Julianne Hough, we are seeing shades of red everywhere this season. Red has immersed fall fashion in many copper and auburn shades. So it’s safe to say, RED is the it color for fall 2018. Red is a magical colour. It is a colour that commands attention. It is a color of passion and love. A colour that enhances human metabolism and raises the heart rate. We love red so much, we named RedBloom after it! Why not try red this season, and open up a whole new realm of style expression?!
Here is an example of a transformative red done recently in our salons. Hillary has been a guest of RedBloom for over a year. Hillary (@hillaryjtaylor) works as a instructor at Barre West here in Calgary, and has a new creative endeavor on the horizon. She’s been rocking blonde locks for a long time and wanted to make a change. She didn’t want to be blonde, and she didn't want to be brunette. Having dabbled in shades of strawberry blonde over the summer, she was finally ready to take the plunge and go red. Here are some before and after photos from her most recent session:
As you can see, a fresh colour has transformed her style! Having never had a hair color quite like this - Hillary now has a new fresh, fierce attitude to take on the world. We styled her new locks with some loose beach waves. For this look we used Evo Salty Dog Beach Spray. We also added some Aveda Control Force for effortless texture. Hillary paired her red locks with this gorgeous black blazer! But did you know redheads can rock colour too? While black looks stunning on a redhead, don’t feel like you are limited to only black. You make the rules! Have fun with it!
Want to try out this hair trend? Bring some of these color inspirations to your next appointment, and let your stylist find the perfect alchemy for you. Trade in your blonde locks for some copper or strawberry. Brunettes - try auburn, or mahogany. Whatever your style, let your RedBloom stylist help find the perfect shade of RED for you! Don’t forget to tag #RedBloomInReaLlife wherever your hair takes you!
Article by RedBloom Salon Hair Stylist Heather C.
How is summer almost over already!? As usual, it's flown by and it's already time to prep for back to school. At least we can start thinking about cute back to school styles though right?
Check out our back to school hair trends from our segment on Breakfast Television Calgary! Even if your school days are done, we show you some fun looks and useful tips!
Thanks to our lovely models and stylist and of course to CityTV for having us!
Messy beach waves don't get easier than this! Plus these are perfect for when you're in a hurry -- all you need to do is flat iron over a basic 3 strand braid and spray in some salt spray and voila!
See the steps below
Video featuring creative director Alex K.
- Spray hair with heat protector
- Split hair into 2 sections, bring the hair forward so one section is on each side of the head (Note: If you have thicker hair make more sections)
- Using a basic 3 strand braid, braid each section until the end and secure with an elastic.
- Next, take your flat iron and starting from the top, press the flat iron over the braid, holding for a few seconds. You can go over the braid a few times to make sure the wave holds.
- Once you’ve gone over the braids, take out the elastics and undo the braids and voila, you should have a soft and subtle wave.
- If some spots need touch-ups or you want to add a bit more wave, take a few sections and add in some easy flat iron waves. You can do this by starting at the root of the section, gently clamping the flat iron on the hair and twisting your wrist towards your face while slowly sliding the flat iron down the hair shaft. Pivot your wrist the opposite direction (away from your face) as you continue to glide the iron down the length of the hair. Remember to keep moving! Think of this as a series of wrist pivots as you're slowly moving the tool down the length of the hair. (check out our full tutorial on these waves here!)
- Finish by spraying on some texturizing salt spray into the hair like Evo hair Salty dog sea salt spray.
Remember topsy tails!? I bet you never thought you'd do your hair like that again but we think you'll change your mind after watching this tutorial!
Seriously though, this is probably one of our easiest tutorials yet and it is so chic and simple! Bonus it might bring back some middle school memories ;)
1. Revive hair with Aveda Shampure Dry Shampoo.
2. Gather hair into a loose low ponytail with an elastic.
3. Use your fingers and separate the hair into two sections above the elastic to make an opening.
4. Tuck the ponytail up and pull it through the opening to create a ‘topsy tail’
5. For a looser look, pull the twisted sections out a bit.
6. Loop the ponytail into the topsy tail opening until it is all tucked away and secure with bobby pins.
7. Be sure to pin any other loose pieces and spray with Aveda Control Force hairspray.
The hottest new hair trend is now at RedBloom...Temporary Hair Tattoos!
We are loving these pretty metallic designs. It's low commitment and perfect for your holiday parties! And the best part is we apply them for you.